Translate

Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, April 25, 2017

In The Summertime When The Weather is Fine

                          In The Summertime When The Weather is Fine



It seems as though spring has left us a little short this year. 

Easter came late and most of the blooms have departed from the trees and the heat has begun to creep up.

I have put away those heavy coats and sweaters, brought out the shorts and tees in anticipation of a nice long summer.

Recently, I remembered a song from the 1970s by a gruff looking guy named Mungo Jerry, a British rocker titled “In The Summertime":

In the summertime when the weather is hot
You can stretch right up and touch the sky
When the weather's fine
You got women, you got women on your mind
Have a drink, have a drive
Go out and see what you can find

I remember those days of summer when at an early age I was carefree, no worries, just me and the warm sunshine. 

Looking back, my troubles were few and the days were long.

In 1969, I had turned the ripe old age of 16 and thought I was grown. 

I had a 1966 black mustang with red interior (wish I still had that beauty today). I kept that car washed and shined weekly. It was showroom shined.

This was the summer before my junior year of high school and I was feeling my oats, if you know what I mean.

I played in a rock group, The Electric Hourglass, with my buddy Dennis Webb, we had fun and practiced at least once a week at Dennis’ house. Although we didn't make a lot of money playing music.

To support my dating habit, I had to stop playing music and get a job, the band gigs just weren't often enough and as everyone knows movies, popcorn and burgers cost money.

Macon, Georgia in the late 60’s, like most towns I’m sure, was full of fun loving teens. 

Drive-in movies were big in the 60’s. We had several in Macon and the lot was always full of cars. I don't think the movie was of interest because hardly anyone stayed in their car and if they did they parked on the back rows. Hmm wonder why???

We had our favorite hang-out spots and on Friday and Saturday night, usually after the movie, we would all would meet there.

There were two Shoney’s restaurants in town, on the south side andthe north side. Both had drive thru’s.

Closer into town was The Varsity and the Pig and Whistle. Each one was on a one-way street, so you cruised one and then swapped sides and cruised the other.

Girls and guys would constantly cruise through, racing their engines, hanging out the window and being, well teenagers.

Occasionally, some boys from the school on the other side of town, would come through sparking some competition and the guys would jump in their cars and go after them. This led to a lot of tires squealing and loud engines roaring.


Lots of fun and we could afford it because gas was only about $.25-30/gallon. I remember filling up my mustang with Amoco white gas, premium for around $6.00. Times they are a-changin.

When the weather starting warming and school was about to be out for the summer, we would meet at the local convince store before school and a lot of time after. 

Most teenagers smoked and I was no exception, Marlboro 100’s, of course they were only about $.25/pack too, so it was affordable.

There was this one boy who hung out with us each morning and his parents pretty much gave him everything he wanted. One morning he came to the store driving a new 1968 GTO, stock. Pretty car, but plain, nothing fancy.

Everyone oooh'd and ahh’d over the new vehicle and that was the end of it. The next morning he showed up with the back-end jacked up about 6 inches, he was walking around like a proud Banty Rooster.

When it came time for us to leave and head to school, he pulled out and got down on the gas. As the GTO slid sideway, with tires smoking, 2 x4’s went all over the road, the kid had jacked his car with wood instead of lifters.

I think sometimes the warm weather effects the mind of teenagers.

We spent a lot of time at a couple of water parks and swimming holes in the summer.

The rock quarry was one such favorite place. No-one has ever found the bottom of the quarry. It has been said to be hundreds of feet deep and all types of things in it.

The rumor was that there were stolen cars and even a crane in the water. Can’t confirm this because none knows how deep it is.

During the my career, summertime meant trade shows and conventions to nice resorts and beach villas. Disney World, Tybee Island, Hilton Head, Panama City Beach and Destin Florida to name a few. I was very fortunate to have the opportunity to share these with my family several times in the summer months.

My children always liked the fact that we took two to three vacations a year, and I liked it as well because I was on an expense account. Vacations seem more enjoyable that way.

As I have aged and the children have grown and gone, with families of their own, summertime has taken on a new meaning.

Oh, my wife and I still take a vacation, usually a cruise to the Caribbean where we bask in the tropical sun and watch the parents chasing their children on the Lido Deck, or running back to the buffet to get food for them. 

We occasionally will look at each other and smile, no words are necessary as we continue to listen to our music or read our book. 

But the joys of summertime now are in the beauty of the nature, seeing the world alive after an arduous winter of cold rain, some snow, and harsh blowing wind. 

The first pink bloom of my Rododendrum that grows beside my screened porch. The opportunity to grill on the deck while listening to Pandora and sharing our meal on the porch.

Yes, summertime takes on a different flare as you grow older, but the slow days and the warm nights leave a lot to treasure.

In the summertime when the weather is hot
You can stretch right up and touch the sky
Have a drink, have a drive
Go out and see what you can find

No comments:

Post a Comment